the jimmymac attack!

This is a collection of assorted observations from my travels and experiences. Many of the posts refer to life in Taiwan where I spent a year living and working. And many others are about my own country, Canada.

Friday, November 18, 2005

 

Toronto to Vancouver

November 1 I came to Vancouver. It's often rated by international agencies as the number one city in the world to live. It is a beautiful city with mountains and ocean on all sides. I really like it and it's in my own country! So why not live here? I'll give it a shot.
There's a bit of culture shock coming here from Canada's biggest, most hated and unfriendly city. The big adjustment for me will be the friendliness. To me Vancouver is like a city with a small town personality. The other day a bus driver said "good morning". Wow! In Toronto the bus drivers are not only unfriendly they are often rude. I've often thought the Toronto bus drivers should be given lessons in public relations. In fact it seems like they are trained to be grumpy and unhelpful. They often drive away with riders running after them. Do they care?
So in Vancouver when bus drivers are actually friendly and helpful it is a shock to me. Being a life long Torontonian I have developed the gruff, unfriendly exterior to an art. It will take a while to let the shield fall. Maybe I can become a friendly person too? Miracles could happen.



<< Home

Archives

May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   November 2006   December 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?