the jimmymac attack!

This is a collection of assorted observations from my travels and experiences. Many of the posts refer to life in Taiwan where I spent a year living and working. And many others are about my own country, Canada.

Friday, July 22, 2005

 

Animal lovers

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Sometimes it is just as strange as fiction. In the movie Hitch (good movie) the character played by Will Smith uses a little dog to arrange a meeting between a guy and a beautiful lady. A similar thing happened to me last night for real. However I don't think it was contrived at all. It was just the reversed situation to the movie. The little dog ran into the elevator in exactly the split second before the doors closed and I was alone in the elevator with the dog. I hit the open button but it was too late. Little dogs are fast. So I'm in the elevator with this little mutt and going to the 5th floor. On five of course he races out when the doors open. So now I'm trying to get him back so I can try to take him back to the first floor. He would not come back. So it took so long to try to lure him back that finally his owner came up to 5 on another elevator and got him. Unlike the movie there was no romantic ending. His owner was a lady but not very beautiful and she did not speak English. No romantic encounter for me.
Little dogs are very popular in Taiwan. They seem more like peoples' toys than pets. People carry them around all the time. People love little puppies and little dogs. I don't think they like them so much if they grow up and get bigger. There are also many, many stray dogs on the streets. Maybe if the little puppies get big people kick them out.
In January I took a short trip to Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China. Now I was only in China for about four days but I did not see any stray dogs wandering the streets like in Taiwan. But I did see dog on the menu in restaurants. What is worse? Dog on the menu or living as beggars unwanted on the streets? Yes, I am not a great animal lover but maybe its better they are on the menu and they are enjoyed and appreciated instead of unwanted and abandoned on the street.



<< Home

Archives

May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   November 2006   December 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?