the jimmymac attack!

This is a collection of assorted observations from my travels and experiences. Many of the posts refer to life in Taiwan where I spent a year living and working. And many others are about my own country, Canada.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

 

Language Exchange

In the world of teaching and learning language there is what is known as 'language exchange'. So many people want to learn English here that some will go to great lengths to learn. Being an English teacher means there are a lot of people wishing to and willing to talk to you. Not necessarily because you are a charming, witty person but because you speak English. And it works both ways. I love to talk to Taiwanese people to learn about their culture and sometimes learn a little Chinese too. For several months I've done language exchange with 3 or 4 students. There is usually four of us at a 'Chinese class'. We meet in a restaurant and have dinner and talk for about 2 hours. Basically it's just hanging out to me but the focus is on language. These marvelous people have become my friends and helped me to go from 'hello' to 'may I have a steak please'. It is a huge leap for me. And I have helped them to learn useful words like 'escalator, sniffles, tea pot, and pepper'. It's been fun and interesting. Thank you my language exchange friends!



<< Home

Archives

May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   November 2006   December 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?