the jimmymac attack!

This is a collection of assorted observations from my travels and experiences. Many of the posts refer to life in Taiwan where I spent a year living and working. And many others are about my own country, Canada.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

 

Taipei I say

I've been in Taipei, Taiwan for one year. It has been an amazing experience. Many Taiwanese people ask me how I like it. My standard answer now is 'the people are nice and the food is delicious'. Most people do not want to hear my comments about their politics or other criticism so it's best to just say nice things. If they care I will go on. One of the first things a foreigner learns here is the different ways they have to convert Chinese to English. There are not just 2 or 3 ways to do this. They actually have about 4 or 5 ways to do it. China with 1.3 billion people has settled on the pinyin system as the one and only way to translate Chinese into English. Taiwan with 23 million people cannot simplify things. But that is typical of Taiwan. If some people want something 1/2 the population will disagree just out of spite. So I live in Banqiao or Banchiao or Ban-Chiao... and I really don't care if there are other ways to spell it. I choose to use the pinyin system. It's a sensible system and if over 1 billion people are using it I'll go with the majority. Thank goodness some people here are also using it. Significantly the City of Taipei and their MRT (subway) system are using pinyin. There is hope they will get organised one day. However the post office officially uses another system. This is no small thing when you consider the mail is one of the major forms of communication that relies on accurate written instructions. My first 6 months and several attempts to send and receive mail were very frustrating. Some mail I anxiously expected never arrived. Now I have given up on the post office here and seldom send any mail at all. Telephone and e mail are dependable and I don't really need to send anything.



<< Home

Archives

May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   November 2006   December 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?